Powered By Blogger

Monday 17 June 2019

How (or what) our children are Learning



Just had a pregnant moment of thought whilst smoking.

What are our children or more importantly how, they are learning.  I was wondering if any teachers from the past (pre Tomorrow Schools) have noticed which children learn faster and better?  If our kids are learning on devices from a young age compared to others (that don't use them at home) is there any differences between the two groups as far as intellect goes?

There is a huge gulf I assume.  Me and my wife were sort of both Old School and New School.  With our children we allowed limited use of the internet but phones were fine.  Back then you couldn't surf or embark in Social Media.  We played a lot of games, Canasta, Black Jack, Scrabble, Monopoly and many others.  Our children were well adjusted at school and at home.  Their brain power was enormous and still is.

So the question for me is this.  Are today's children well adjusted using their brainpower with ease?  Do they problem solve well without having to use the Cellphone?  Have they superseded their abilities of their generation (and on)?

It would be cool if the Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga ran a survey in schools, especially from Primary age to evaluate if there is a noticeable difference.  And then carry that survey through to Intermediate and first 3 years of Secondary education.


All my life I was always looking to actively to work my mind, both at all schooling (cards at home and Scrabble and Monopoly), and at leisure (Darts) and I will always thank my Mother for her effort. These Brain exercises are still with me.  Nowadays I am a Social Media Commentator and it is fair to say my living brain exercises keep me apace with technology. Will our children do likewise?  I seriously think not.

Here is a blog I wrote some time ago regarding our children. Click Here

My final shot - are our kids brain lazy - i.e is everything too hard (a common excuse I bet)

Roger Waters song The Tide is Turning. He asks the hard questions too.




No comments:

Post a Comment