Powered By Blogger

Thursday 6 June 2024

The Out House at Muriwai Beach Bach

 A little history.  Back in the 50's my wife's Grandfather, Jim Barker (aka JimPa), lived in a house on a 1/2 acre lot (144 Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead) and built his family home (pictured, the original homestead).


He worked down the road at the Chelsea Sugar Works for most of his life. He was an avid collector, going to auctions and bidding on whole lots (dismantling Villas).  But he also did something odd, maybe a hint of a canny knowledge of the value of land.

In the 50's and 60's Jim Pa bought sea front land at Onetangi Beach, Waiheke Island (pictured),


a small lot at Long Bay, North Shore, and another 1/2-acre lot at Berridge Road, Muriwai.  Over the years he sold off Onetangi Bay and Long Bay leaving him with Muriwai.  He built a one-bedroom home (bach) with lounge and small kitchen.  It was his retreat from the city.

I first met Jim Pa in 1985 when I first met my wife.  He was a quiet frail man then and soon after (1986) he passed, just before our wedding.  I admired him a lot.

In the following year myself and my wife's father (Ron) took it to task to clear the section of collected stock. What was located on the section?  For instance, motor mower bodies, car parts, several new baths and a complete villa stacked in racks. Several very large skip bins later, 95% of the section was cleared. I did a bit of internal reconstruction on the house all using recycled stock at hand to make things easier for Nan and sold off timber and tools with money going to her.

Anyway, back to Muriwai.  The existing outhouse was a ramshackle dwelling with holes in the walls, trees growing through the cracks, and a dodgy seat. As stated, JimPa collected anything and after he passed, I took it on myself to build a new Outhouse cum Storage shack.  I had all the ingredients.  Creosoted 4x2's, Kauri Weather Planks, iron, recycled nails, windows, matai flooring and very old tools (50-year-old hammer, 30 odd year old Black and Decker Skill Saw, a couple of very ancient Levels and two rusty handsaws). Not one thing in that outhouse was new (except my vigour)

Over Easter Weekend 1992, myself, my wife and my FiL, set about building a great edifice for future family use.  Basically, a long drop toilet can, a flash seat, storage for all Ron's bits and bobs (repairing the Bach) and room for the Flymo Mower. The thing was a work of art.

I have three favourite construction efforts.  This Outhouse, a 50-metre section fence (Cooks Landing) and two weeks renovating our family home at 266 Forrest Hill Road, doing the dining room, new kitchen, moving Water Heater, totally renovating the bathroom and (later) painting the girls' bedrooms.

My big Ups goes to JimPa. A man with a vision and a drive to do his own thing. Not Sure Nan thought the same, LOL.

In passing. The section at Muriwai (21 Berridge Road) was largely a flat section, and with a great view over Muriwai township and all the way up the beach to South Head.  You could also see Oaia Island just offshore from Muriwai. This section was a must buy for new owners (when it was sold late 90's.) On site was also an old caravan.  This was largely used by my children's Great Aunts up until both aunts were too old to enjoy it (in their late 80's yo).


The view from the bach.



For over ten years we as a family grew to love our time up there. A bit rough, a bit rickety but a joy living to the basics. And the view!!  To this day my mind wanders to those vistas.

By the by - also at Muriwai, my first construction attempt was a standalone shower.  Unfortunately, the Weta's made it home also, so ladies vied away from using it.


No comments:

Post a Comment