Powered By Blogger

Thursday 13 June 2019

My Schooling 1963 - 2012

If there is one thing I treasure about my life is how my schooling was achieved. My first school was in Invercargill when I turned five (1963).  I never remembered much of it but do remember  picking flowers for my young lady teacher and giving them to her in class.  My "reward" was to spend all morning on the Naughty Stool in front of class.  Not a good start.

Ascot Community School. (1963)


We moved up the road a little to Lumsden Area School (1964 - 1966)  My first friends Ross Alexander and his younger Brother.  Me and my younger brother were friends with them for life.  I also had my first broken bone, smashing my right radius falling off the Jungle Gym. And the bad news for me continued.  I always had trouble tying my shoe laces and was given the Ruler for my crime.  I guess I first learned how to adapt and overcome.


Another move this time to Dunedin's North East Valley and schooling at North East Valley Normal School (1966/67).  Dad was a part time Bus Driver and schooling at Otago University.  I soon learned I had no inclination of playing a musical instrument. AND my introduction to what would be my penchant for team sports.

Now for the one school that was my most favourable school, 1967 and Arthurs Pass School (Primer 1 to Form 2. There were only 8 pupils, Getting to school was on the grader, (Me, my little bro and Barry McNichols).  You went to school for educational fun (I loved drama) and walked out the door and went mountain climbing, damming streams, and Possuming.  Being outdoors was my number 1 love!!



Sadly we were only there for 5 or 6 months as Dad was hospitalised, meaning we had to move to Dannevirke for a few months (at out Grandparents house. We lived about 500 metres from the school and walking to and from school was generally fun but not Arthurs Pass by any means. Dannevirke North School (1967/8) was the biggest school to date.  I do remember Mrs Smith though, an old rooster that was fun to be in her class.  I also remember my Uncle sometimes doubling to school on his bike which was cool.  I would also reacquaint myself with this school after we move to Taipa and back in 1968.

1968 saw us move to Taipa (between Manganui and Kaitaia) in Nga Puhi Country.  We lived on our Aunties Dairy Farm  up the Peria Valley.  The area was largely dairy and citrus farms.  This was a boys dream.  We had 3 cuzzies boys and adventure was out middle name.  Made more so when it bucketed down the Taipa River would flood and we'd have to get home before the road was closed.  Multi-coloured mud/clay, eeling, floundering and gorging ourselves on mandarins and oranges much to Mum's chagrin.  Whilst there our maternal grandfather passed so Mum and her isster went back to
 Dannevirke.  Not long after Dad escaped hospital and we moved back to Dannevirke.  Taipa Area School 1968 was another district school catering for Primer 1 - Form 2.  The beach was scant meters away from.  In those days there was also an outdoor Cinema.



A true story.  When I was living onboard HMNZS Philomel (Navy's Logistic Base and Accommodation) and we had a mess for all the old salts with a big round Table.  It used to get called The Nights of the Round Table as many drinking sessions abounded.  One night there were about 8-9 of us drinking and Bassberries mentioned he was from Peria.  That pricked my ears immediately.  I asked him "when" and he said late 68's.  I said "were you there in 1968"?  Hai!!  Turns out we were at the same scool and bus trips and he liveed about 2-3 miles deep into the country.  Not to be outdone (and suitably gobsmacked) this blonde girlfriend sitting across the table pipes up that she lived next to my Aunty on a dairy Farm.  Says me " Olsen Twins?? I had the hots for her way back when.  Great night.

Roslyn Primary Roslyn - Palmerston North. 1968/69

 Finally - a school that I loathed apart from two things.  Loved Cricket - loved Football and mates associated with both. YAWN!!  Oh hold on - the Principal - former Test Cricketer Murray Chappell.

Ross Intermediate, Roslyn, Palmerston North 1969/70


Three things (also carried over from Roslyn Primary)  Cricket, Football and Woodworking.  Pretty good at all three.

Palmerston North Boys High School 1972 - 1975

Ok the time when you start your journey to Manhood.  Palmy Boys was a high achieving academic and sporting school.  I was average in all facets.  The topics I wanted to study I weren't allowed too.  So basically I was doing enough in classes and let my sporting prowess flourish.  If it was physical I was into it.  I passed SC in 3 subjects with 1 mark off my favourite subject (after Tech Drawing) being Geography.  My dear old man wanted me to go to university, so I started 6th form and was allocated Class Leader (next step to Prefect)  I was a 60kg runt.  There was only two things I thought I might try if I got to UE (Astronomer or Meteorologist).  Due the the latter I was drawn to the Armed Forces Recruiting centre as RNZAF had meteorologists but weren't recruiting.  They (Air) ushered me to Navy as surveyors were being recruited.  The rest is history.

Between 1975 - 2002 I was highly trained by the navy in all facets of Navy life (and times) and loved it all!!



Massey University 2007-2009  Basically I went to university because I was bored and needing a challenge. I have no memory who said it but I started a BA in English, Creative Writing and Music of Pink Floyd.  Sadly my last year I had my mental health issues to resurface and didn't complete studies. BUT I leaned shitloads and loved being with fellow literati.


My last journeys down the Training road were threefold. (2007- 2012)

Journeys to Wellbeing (an Mental Health NGO, and provider of Like Minds Like Mine workshops)  Was trained to be a workshop facilitator and eventually the Coordinator for the programme supplying organisations in the Whanganui, Rangitikei, Manawatu, Tararua and Horowhenua areas.

This organisation also supplied Peer Support for at risk adults.  It was a sort of counselling service but the credo was walk alongside not ahead or back.

  I was the only Male Peer Support worker so had a few regular clients, but also had one lady who preferred my services.




Sadly the MoH pulled the plug on Like Minds Like Mine and I had to find new work.  Luckily two of our board of Directors at JTW were also working for MASH, a community Care organisation dealing with Intellectually and Disabled (ID/PD) adults and also Mental Health clients.  I applied for the ID/PD position and was hired immediately.  I started immediately in November 23rd 2011 as a part timer eventually getting a full time position in 2012 (until 5th July 2015)  I was given training for all facets required to conduct my job (and some) and also found my work and training from my Navy Time was very beneficial.

Sorry that is the End for me lol.  Yes I'm seeking work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment