Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 1 January 2019

My Claim To Fame - Darts.

From 1980 to 1983 I was introduced to the game of Darts (on Monowai).  Mainly 501 and Cricket.  I was quite good mind you you had to be with the ship rolling.  This lead to a stint playing Darts (when I was ashore in 1983), at the Northcote Darts League in Northcote.  Our club mainly played between ourselves or versus the Birkenhead RSA but in April we entered the Auckland Darts Championships. A place for the top dartsman/women in the Nationals was up for grabs.

Should explain.  I never ever had a 180, the pinnacle of Darts play.  My skill was consistent scoring in the 100+ (and closing out doubles).  In June I played in the regional finals at the Birkenhead RSA and won a very tight final.  I was off to Rotorua.

Until I asked for sports leave. I was back on Monowai and My DO denied my request.  GUTTED!! His excuse was Darts wasn't a recognised Navy Sport.

I don't hold grudges but I was circumspect.  He was a lesser human.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My thoughts not exactly the DO was an inveterate arsehole. In all my dealings with him.

      Delete