Powered By Blogger

Monday 8 May 2017

Entering the Lions Den the Media Beef Up

So the 12 year cycle approaches and the feeling in changing rooms, pubs and media centers around New Zealand and GB&Irish are tuning into what should be a very, very interesting tour.  Why?  Primarily
 the answer lies with Super Rugby Teams (aka franchises) having a crack at games, once the domain of provincial teams.

A minor issue?  Are provincials way to weak for the task at hand??  And for the Lions, 10 matches - 9 of which are essentially tests.
Yeah sure, they are travelling with a 41 player roster but that won't discount wear and tear.  Predominantly they have a huge task at hand.  So what happens when  all those 9 test matches have hosts winning, is the Lions team a thing of the past?  I don't think so but another 12 years down-track one thing is for sure - the rugby calendar will be very different across all rugby nations and competitions.  I doubt there will ever be another tour to NZ and with Aussie out of rugby soon the outlook is glum.

So how are the host teams going to fare? NZ Maori, New Zealand Provincial Barbarians, and Test Teams have the right to claim touring teams as they did in the past.  For me franchise teams are a sad departure from the past.  No I don't want to see the likes of King Country or Mid Canterbury (heck they're lucky to get a Ranfurly Shierld crack) so the Baabaa's team is a great thing.  Why do I find Super teams a hard watch on a tour that celebrates history.  Purely and simply it's down to provincial pride not Super money machine.  Ok yes I agree, most Super teams will have some of their 30 AB's out with Test duties, but as has been seen by the Rugby comp this year, Super teams have huge depth.  

I'm an old rugby fanatic and I love the romantic idea of the Northern Hemisphere banding together to knock over the Southern teams.  I am also a romantic fool and slather at the idea of all NH countries taking on all the SH teams (A World Series like Baseball) I would also like to see the likes of Russia, Georgia and Romania (WHAT!! Iceland are you serious!!)

Here is my thing for future Lions tours Steve Tew.  If the Lions play the Hurricanes at Arena Manawatu I won't go -  it means nothing to me. If the Lions played Manawatu Turbos at Arena Manawatu I'll be front row central.

And I wager thousands more have the same idea.  Yes I am looking forward to the rugby but not the Franchise rugby.  Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment