Powered By Blogger

Thursday 8 January 2015

Jamie How's Fitzherbert Park Swansong

Palmerston North, for quite some time, has been a scarcity in first class cricket.  And I know that, I haven't been for over 5 years, the last time also CD versus the Auckland Aces and that day Michael Bates destroyed us.  So what drove CD management to finally relent and hold another match here.  Hard to fathom actually, public pressure, player pressure, or just a sense of feeling sorry for one of the cities that excels in providing top class players.  It definitely wasn't Jamie How's decision to retire, they would not have been aware of that at the start of the season.


Yes you heard right, Jamie How has retired after this season and this game at Fitzherbert returned him to his home city and he was to play a small part in a great win.  I wanted to go to see How and Worker tear apart Auckland. I had to endure as the Aces decided to bat first on what seemed from the stand, a very dodgy pitch.  And the Aces struggled managing 225 all out on the last ball.  I moved my position around to the North Eastern embankment hoping to get some downwind lofted shots on my camera.


But the Aces were up to the task and snared George Worker, after two fine boundaries, played on.  It was quite amusing for me as I managed to snap the moment the bail dropped off and it galvanised me not to shoot any other batsmen playing a shot in case it was a jinx. It was a shame George missed out as I feel he's an outside chance of making the national team in the near future in the 50 over format.

So my attention switched to Jamie.  But not for long.  After two fine boundaries he was trapped LBW to Matt Quinn and walked off Fitzherbert for the very last time as a CD player to the sounds of loud applause. I have always loved Jamie How's ability and style.  I have also admired his dedication to CD and Manawatu Cricket, and of course appreciate the effort he put into his stint for the national side.  I am proud and sad.


But the attention for me then switched to two young and promising CD youngsters, Ben Smith and Will Young.  The mantle handed over, these two swiftly set about righting the CD innings and put on a handy and elegant partnership for the 3rd wicket.  Young especially was very impressive though both were prominant in the cover drive and playing in front of the wicket.  I think one day both these players will feature in higher cricket.

And thankfully Michael Bates didn't feature today and CD managed to get the required runs in the 48th over for the loss of five (I know some reading this will cringe when I say the skipper, Kruger van Wyk, played a key part of that chase).  So my day at the cricket was complete and I left very happy.  CD win and now topping the table, but still a long way to go to win the Ford Trophy.  I know Jamie and George failed to bother the scorers much today, but there is still a few games to go, to go out and really enjoy their cricket and bat records out of existence.

To Manawatu Cricket, you put on a fine show today, and enough to convince CD cricket to hold more matches here, though I do think there does need to be something done to make the pitch more conducive to higher scores.  Sure tight games are always good games but if you want excitement and bigger crowds, make the venue so.  My only regret, the demise of the scoreboard at the Esplanade end of the ground.  please build another, the small electronic one was terrible for old eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment