Powered By Blogger

Monday 3 March 2014

The Lifestyle Debate - or health hazards

Ok, yes I have written a few blogs defending smoking, rightfully or wrongfully, but in those blogs as I said, I was defending the right to choice and my choice is to smoke.  But in not one of those blogs did I take a pot shot at others lifestyle choices.  Until this afternoon.

We're all very familiar with the vociferous Anti Smoking Lobbyists, and yes they have a point, smoking "can" kill.  And as I have stated before the figures used by those lobbyists seemed unbalanced and not worthy of repetition, but repeat I will.  The reason?  I discovered purely by chance (thanks @CateOwen on Twitter) that there was a by far larger demographic out there that is using more health services than smokers.  And they die too from their addictions.  The Obese.

According to NZ Statistics a large number (31% adults, 11% children) are obese.  Statistically the adult number is double the whole number of smokers and draw a larger pie of the Health Budget than smokers.  Yet there is no serious campaign going on like the ASH campaign to reduce these numbers.  Instead it's left for low level media coverage and a little advertising by community groups to bring this issue to the fore.

If it's OK to tax smokers for their habit (which btw goes into the Health Budget to help fund smoking related illnesses, a sort of insurance scheme) why is it not OK to tax foods and beverages that cause Obesity and their related illnesses?  And a lot of those illnesses in the Obese are life long ones whereas smoking illnesses feature later in life. Is that equality of care?  Is that a fair balance between the two subjects?  No!!

I was at one stage getting to a stage where I was morbidly Obese and a smoker.  In fact my obesity came about from stopping smoking for 2 years.  Two years of food and beverage abuse lead to 20 years of huffing and puffing my weight around.  But one day I made a life changing decision.  Smoking was OK.  Being Fat wasn't.  I am now at my fighting weight, I don't huff and puff through exertion, I'm fit.  I don't have respiratory issues through smoking, in fact I don't have any health issues.  I'm 55 and healthy.  But it's fair to say if I had continued to grow big, the following issues could have arisen and placed me as a huge burden on the health budget.  Click here for the drain on the Health System.

The following figures are what I derived from the statistics above.  They are debatable and hopefully you can understand them.  Obesity is a huge issue.  More than 40% of the population is obese.  No not just fat, Obese.  And the figures suggest it may also be socioeconomically and ethnically orientated.  I don't have a long term fix, but it's fair to say as stated, ok to tax tobacco to lower numbers, do the same in the supermarkets, dairies, bottle stores and takeaway joints.  Legislate, educate, tax.  Get people turned around to healthy choices which should be subsidised, as are stop smoking derivatives.  The figures:

Population last census
4420000
Death statistics in New Zealand 2012
32513
%age of population
0.736%
%age of smokers deaths per smoking group.
0.754%
Number of Obese Adults (15 over)
31%
Number Obese by Population 1370200
Number of Obese Children (2-14)
11% 486200
Number Obese by Population 1856400
Number of smokers per population 2013 statistics
15%
663000 Numbers smoking
Number of Deaths from Smoking (2012 figures) %age of smokers deaths by population
5000 0.113%
Number of Deaths attributed to Obesity not measured.


I guess in closing, both Smoking and Obesity are not lifestyle choices we want to make in the next 10 - 15 years.  And I wonder if the rules for smoking apply to Marijuana?  Ban all lighters and matches??  Same with food, ban KFC, Maccas, Cadbury Chocolates, Kiddies Lollies packs?  Radical maybe, but that's the harsh reality.  We can beat smoking.  We can beat Obesity.  Just needs a strong lobby group to lead the way!!




No comments:

Post a Comment