Powered By Blogger

Saturday 14 May 2011

Fibre Optic Love Juice

Ohhh squishy squishy, you know the stuff, sweaty palms, drool all over the keyboard, webcams swapping images, microphones set to high to make sure “Your Loved One” can hear you, and after the call, that sense of “when do we meet again”?  Yup, good bye Puppy Love, welcome Fibre Optic Philanthropy.
It’s not a rare thing either.  How many people do you know (including yourself) that in the last 15 years since the net got user friendly, have had online romances?  Yes even I have been smitten, and for a good 3 years (she lived in The US Virgin Islands) and we were a definite “item”.  We’d often swap phonecalls, mail, love poems, you name it.  But hanging over that relationship (and yes it was a relationship) was the big “what if” or more importantly “which one won the lottery first” to go see the other.  It just never happened.  My story had a happy ending, but quite a few end up in tears.

You’ve obviously heard about the horror stories, stalkers, misrepresentation, bad love gone badder, and no doubt know someone that has been adversely affected.  Heck, it’s a small world now and getting smaller by the day as fibre optic relationships spread like wild fire.

It takes two to tango right, and therefore you’d expect that internet relationships are by and large open minded and casual, and also where a lot of information and personalities are evidenced.  But like ordinary relationships (heretoafter known as 3D Love) internet relationships too have their problems.  Too often you hear about people that mislead and those that have been mislead and it’s not until they meet in 3D that issues arise.  Ok don’t get me wrong, many Fibre Optic relationships are beneficial to both parties, but the ones you tend to hear about are the ones that went wrong.  So how do you know if your relationship is safe?
Your personal boundaries are key.  If you get warning bells, listen to them otherwise the train is going to mow you down.  Make sure you have safe procedures in place.  You should do this as a matter of caution on anything you do on the internet.  Be safe and stay safe.  If someone pushes your buttons, just terminate the call and erase from your systems memory.  That’s emotionally hard to do, but better than being fleeced of your fathers fortune over a casual relationship.  And yes, men, women and teenagers are all susceptible.

Here is some helpful advice:

1.  If they send you a kiss on the monitor, do your lips pucker?  If you can’t do flesh to flesh the relationship will founder.

2.  If they say LOL a lot, they are probably nervous about something.  Don’t laugh back right away, hold your ground and see the reaction.

3.  If your dog starts growling when the other person’s picture flashes on the screen, your dog is probably right.  When the cat starts pacing across the keyboard there are probably two reasons. i) You have been online for three days (OCD) and the cat’s trying to tell you they are hungry, or ii) witches used cats for good reason, they know things.

4.  If your other half is told you have 14 children and they don’t respond straightaway they’re not trying to guess their names, they are rattled by that knowledge.

So I guess in summary, Fibre Optic Love is dangerous to the human psyche in that it holds a lot of promise but generally fails to materialise.  Pay $15 dollars a week to go to your local Line Dancing group.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes …. internet love! Until they met some other love, turn out to be married or want you to send the $10,000,000 and they promise to repay you when they get there, only to find there pic is of some random in the supermarket and you are now over spent

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dating sites in NZ are all rather dodgey.

    Apparently single people do the following ALOT:

    1. Walk along the beach, seriously there must be so many single people doing it ya may as well hang out there looking for a partner!

    2. Camping & Hiking, + love the outdoors, what they really mean is that every weekend they go get trashed & spend sunday getting over the hangover, th last time they went camping was probably at school.

    3. People travel an awful lot, in fact with the time & money involved in all this travelling to europe every weekend, do these people have time to meet anyone?

    4. People who dont have a photo, usually have a good reason not to have one, oh & women lie about there age & weight.

    After some very poor choice of partners, friends finally convinced me to have a go at the internet dating thing, & whilst i meet some nice people, i soon came to the conclusion, online is no better than a bar, & there are thai brothels with more morals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Internet dating was such a joke when I decided to dive in and give it a blast. I thought nothing would EVER come of it, and laughed about how “sad and loser-ish” someone would have to be to even try it…but I guess separating after 10yrs of marriage and 2 kids, no job, no real direction in life put me in that category. I ended up on a site on and off for 4yrs, chatting to weird and wonderful people all over NZ. It took some coercing but eventually after a few months of testing the waters I started meeting people offline. Sure, there were a few freaks, but in the most part they were cool and funny…and sexy lol. I made some great long-term friends, and all of them were quite accomplished, neither sad nor losers. There were no axe-murderers or paedophiles that I came across, but then I am very direct and made no bones about asking whatever I wanted to know. If I thought I was being lied to I said so…and I only gave anyone 1 chance to turn that around. I got really savvy with the “block” function, and always met in highly public places until I got to know them better. I also NEVER introduced them to my kids. After all it was my time to have some fun and a social life I hadn’t had for years. I was amazed at how cool and motivated some of them were…one managed a very successful internet architectural design company; another, a marine mechanic who owned his own business; two were doing their Masters Degrees at Uni, one in Medical Engineering and the other in Linguistics; and fourth was a long-time serving electrician in one of the Armed Forces. All attractive and gentlemanly, financially stable and those who were fathers were dedicated. Not loser-ish at all. Eventually I got tired of the “dating” and using the internet as my menu for entertainment and got more serious about meeting someone I might want to seek a long term relationship with. And there he was…a Mr Right. He started out as a Mr Right Now, but we chatted a lot about what we did and didn’t want in life and discovered there were many things we wanted in common. I moved away to another city, thinking it would be, “Thanks, that was fun…see ya in the next life.” But no…he asked to visit me a couple of months later. I told him that would mean meeting my parents (as I had moved home to save some money), and he was like, “OK.” I got that scary, giddy, OMG he’s really interested feeling…and so he met the parents. They loved him and Mum got good vibes about him, so I introduced him to my kids. They thought he was pretty cool, so after returning to his home after that visit he rang me every day to chat about a future and keep us connected. In that next year he flew from his city to mine 4 times and won me, my kids and my family over. That was 4yrs ago and on Valentines Day last year he proposed! Fibre optic love juice works for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played bridge almost eery night for 3 years with a bloke a Kiwi lied in NZ – we were really good friends BUT – it was bak in the late 90′s and people didn’t exchange personal details as much as they do today. Anyhow we were a formida…ble partnership on the bridge table – usually won – and laughed a lot. It took two years and we figured out we both lived in Rotorua. Hmm then silence for a while – eventually it got round to whereabouts in Rotaz – and after 3 years one night my P got really nosey about where I was right down to street number – I started getting nervous – he then said – “go to your back door” —- wot??? I hare a back section when I went out the neighbour in front was on his porch also waving at me. Thats right 3 years and a really close bridge partnership – and actually we were neighbours.
    true story – I felt a bit uncomfortable for a while with him ‘in person’ Anyhow – he was an AA service man and I had met him many times on my breakdown call-outs (flat batteries / keys locked in etc etc) without realizing he was either m…y neighbour or my best bridge buddy. He moved to Oio in the end – we still friends today. Mind u Thane – was all about the ‘cards’ – not a romance so it probably doesn’t really ‘fit’ with ur blog

    ReplyDelete