Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 July 2023

My Observations of Palmerston North Hospital

  Like many Palmy citizens I have had call to use our Hospital for a variety needs.  Below are my observations.  In timeline.

1974 was sent to A&E after a playfight with my little brother backfired.  I ended up with a split nose requiring stitches. After a week I was taken back and had the stitches removed.  A few days later when the scab washed off I found two stitches near the eyes. Odd.

10th October 1979.  I had an accident at work on Great Barrier Island and smashed all the bones in my right foot. The Navy Hospital duly gave me a plaster cast and sent me home on Sick Leave.  When I was on the train (heading to Palmerston North) the cast busted open and I had to go to Palmy Hospital to get a new one.  Nothing untoward.

In 2002 I was admitted to the hospital to have a rebuild of my right eardrum, requiring a skin graft to rebuild my destroyed one. For some reason, I started having a high ringing tone in that ear.  I still have it.  I just thought it was natural.

March 5th 2003.  I unfortunately found myself jumping off a bridge, beset by my "demons".  I was conscious until the Ambo's arrived and lost consciousness in the ambulance.  I know when I landed that no bones were broken and no blood from a compound fracture nor pain, which was evident from my shoes next to my hospital Bed.

I had no conscious awareness for over a month after the "accident" When I was conscious, I had the "surgeon" and my Psyche doctor come and see me..  One thing that did happen, I was vomiting black bile.  I never knew why until a few years ago. It appears that I was reacting to a surgery procedure and was reacting to my "surgery"  

I was also transferred to several wards, never being in one for more than a few weeks.  "Medical Experiments"  My last attention in the hospital was to have a cast on each foot.  The lady doing the cast gave me a fluorescent green cast on my right leg, and a fluorescent Orange one on the left leg.  I also was shown my xrays by Doctor Love, the surgeon which I recognised instantly was wrong.  I didn't think anything more of it.

Until my 2005 visit.  I was admitted to Ward 21, Palmerston North Hospital and became a pin cushion.  I had a blood test every day, sometimes twice a day supposedly to check my medication levels.  Odd.

2017.  I became aware two clients had supposedly committed suicide on the Ward.  I thought it as odd as the Ward is free of items to assist with taking their own lives.

2015 5th July.  I was told to see my GP for an appointment.  When I got there, my usual GP was absent and two lovely lady GP's proceeded to give me a "Prostate" check.  The next day I was in Ward 21 again.  This time for 3 and 1/2 months.  Once again, I was barraged with blood tests and medication changes. Two observations.  On one occasion, there were no staff on the ward from 2030 to 2300.  Odd!!  And first seen in 2005, there was a very large "monitor" on what we lovingly called The Bridge of the Starship Enterprise.  It had many vertical Orange and Red lines and "waterfalling" or "cascading". Odd.

For some reason I went 14 days without a crap and had to resort to shoving my fingers up my anus and breaking it up.

Lastly and the most oddly.  Two months ago I had a friend admitted to Ward 25 Palmerston North Hospital. I had always been dubious about staffing at the Hospital.  On a visit I asked a young "nurse" what ward was Ward 27 for.  She didn't know. Odd!!


My blog on Psyche Services at Palmy Hospital.

Bulldust over a Kiwi BBQ: The Psychiatric World of Ward 21 PN Hospital and other matters. (rednaz1958.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment